BROOKFIELD HERITAGE NEIGHBORHOOD BOARD MEETING
MINUTES, OCTOBER 24, 2012
The October, 2012 meeting of the Brookfield Heritage Board was held at the home of Alan Munn, and called to order at 7:30 P.M. by board president, Rhoda Wolff. Members present were Beth Blythe, Dave Betts. Wayne Claycombe, Erica Windler, Rhoda Wolff, Nancy Knupfer, and Judy Cunningham.
I. TREASURER’S REPORT: Alan Munn reported that due to the transition between treasurers, his report will be attached at a later time.
Attached to these minutes will be the first quarter financial report for fiscal year 2013 which was submitted by outgoing treasurer, Sally Lloyd.
There was some discussion about garage sales as a way to increase our treasury, and it was moved and seconded that in April we will plan a neighborhood wide garage sale.
II. SECRETARY’S REPORT: Judy Cunningham distributed copies of minutes from the July, 2012 board meeting. The minutes were accepted as read.
III. OLD BUSINESS:
- Dave Betts reminded us that at the annual meeting in September, the topic of changes in By-law may require these to be mailed to households and to actual homeowners, and not hand delivered, was mentioned as a requirement by the city for approval for change. At that meeting, Dawn Parker stated that she will try to clarify this, and now, Rhoda will follow up on it with Dawn and report back at our January meeting.
IV. NEW BUSINESS:
- The City of East Lansing has offered an initiative for a free website that our neighborhood association can link up with. We decided that we like our website, and that if it’s ok with Carl, we would like to do that. A motion was made, seconded, and passed that we do this.
- We discussed the importance of neighborhood participation and active membership in our neighborhood activities, especially because of next summer’s road and sidewalk construction plans. We all will be affected and we discussed what might be done to keep traffic from detouring through our streets. A city survey showed that only 1/3 of households are actively involved in their associations. We all are thinking of ways to include more families.
- Dave Betts will be drafting a new letter this fall which will be sent out to the neighbors, to try and increase our memberships, and to try to give the neighbors a new perspective about the neighborhood as a reason to join, featuring things other than trees. Dave would also like suggestions for this.
- A decision was made to put out a new directory this year. The treasurer, Alan and secretary, Judy, will get all new information for the directory to Nancy Knupfer for the finalized list of membership, emails, addresses, etc. for the directory.
V. ADJOURN: 8:43 P.M.
NEXT MEETING JANUARY 16, 2013, TIME AND PLACE NOT CHOSEN *************
Judy Cunningham, Secretary