2011 Board Minutes

2011 Board Minutes

Content Classification: 

2011-01-31

BROOKFIELD HERITAGE NEIGHBORHOOD
BOARD MEETING, JANUARY 31, 2011
 
The January meeting of the Brookfield Heritage Neighborhood Association was held on January 31, 2011, at Sally Lloyd’s home, 216 Oakland. Members present were Dawn Parker, Jan Bernsten, Carl Lira, Susie Engelhart, Rhoda Wolff, Sally Lloyd, Kristin Rosenbrook, and Judy Cunningham. The meeting was called to order At 6:30 P.M.
 
1.  The secretary’s report was given by Judy Cunningham. Minutes of the September meeting were read, corrections made to the date of this evenings meeting, approved, and stood as read.
 
2.  Jan Bernsten presented the treasurer’s report. She reported that we have a savings account balance of $1,811.89, and a checking account balance of $397.07, for a total balance of $2,208.96. Since October, $330.00 has been added to our account, $300.00 from dues collected, and a $30.00 donation to the tree fund from the Poli family.   In response to the mailings that were sent out to all residents, (15) fifteen more households sent in dues, which brings the total number of households who have joined and paid dues to fifty-one (51) of ninety-four (94) households.
 
    We also discussed some ways to encourage people to pay dues at the annual meeting through incentives like selling t-shirts, or something else along that line.
 
3.  OLD BUSINESS
Last fall, Peter Knupfer wrote a letter to the city of East Lansing and to MDOT expressing our concerns about the short left turn cycle of the light at Hagadorn and Grand River. That light cycle has been increased to allow more left turns to get through.
 
     In November, Carl Lira and Sally Lloyd attended an open house at the Hannah Community Center to discuss the Michigan Ave/Grand River CATA issues regarding our section of Grand River Ave. They expressed our feelings about the bottleneck that would be created by the plan of 100 feet width in our area. Three alternatives are under consideration, Bus Rapid Transit, Light Rail Transit, and Modern Streetcar.We will be hearing more about this from CATA.
 
     Jan Bernsten went to a Wardcliff neighborhood meeting to offer some tips to help them begin a neighborhood association last fall. They welcomed her input.
 
4.  NEW BUSINESS
     Carl Lira reported that Stuart Blythe is working with him and with our web site. He reported that we need to renew our web site and that our domain privacy had expired. After discussion, we moved, seconded, and voted to renew our web site for one (1) year .The cost for one year will be $9.00/month.
     Rhoda suggested having a link from Facebook to our Website. Response was favorable.
     There was discussion about having a progressive dinner or garden tour, both to be discussed at the April board meeting. These would be fund raisers for the neighborhood.
    
     Rhoda attended the mayor’s meeting of neighborhoods and came away with lots of
great ideas of things being done in East Lansing neighborhoods. For example, Emergency Response Training, a 20 hour course offered to people in the community to learn how to respond to all types of emergency situations. The mayor also wants to initiate neighborhood watches, and to start walking teams that would compete with other cities.There wasn’t time to get involved with the walking right now.
     It was moved, seconded, and passed after some discussion that we update our e-mail list and create an announcement list. This would be used for neighborhood news, warnings, lost dogs, break ins, etc. Dawn Parker, Communications, will send news out to all on the list.
     The vacancy created by Tom Wibert’s move to Texas will hopefully be filled by a volunteer. Susie Engelhart, Vice President, has volunteered to talk to anyone interested in filling Tom’s position.
 
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 P.M.
 
Respectfully Submitted,
 
 
Judy Cunningham

Secretary

 

Content Classification: 

2011-04-11

BROOKFIELD HERITAGE NEIGHBORHOOD BOARD MEETING

MINUTES, APRIL 11, 2011
 
     The April 11 board meeting was held at the home of Rhoda Wolff and was called to order by the president, Rhoda at 6:30 P.M. Members present were Carl Lira, Jan Bernsten, Sally Lloyd, Susie Engelhart, Rhoda Wolff, and Judy Cunningham.
 
1.  The minutes of the January 31 board meeting were read by secretary Judy Cunningham, approved, and stood as read.
 
2.  Jan Bernsten presented the Treasurers report. We currently have $397.07 in our checking account, $1833.06 in our savings account, for a total balance of $2,230.13.
 
3.  OLD BUSINESS: 
a.    The neighborhood e-mail ‘Listserv’ was discussed, and after discussion we moved, seconded, and voted to use the ‘Listserv’ only for neighborhood issues, not for fundraising. We felt that the website could be a place to advertise fundraising events.
 
4.  NEW BUSINESS:
a.    We have a new neighbor at 1521 Grand River and Kristin Rosenbrook will be asked to welcome them.
 
b.    There is a house being rented without a license at 147 Maplewood. This has been reported to the city and the appropriate steps are being taken to follow up on the issue
c.    Verna Hodge, a long time East Lansing and Brookkfield Heritage Neighborhood resident passed away this winter. Since Verna did much to beautify the city over the years, the board decided to plant flowers in late May at the Roseland/Hagadorn entrance to the neighborhood in memory of Verna. Judy and Susie volunteered to do the planting and will ask Dawn Parker about putting a little notice in the Towne Courier.
 
d.    The traffic light at the corner of Hagadorn and Grand River has reverted back to being a short cycle again. Susie will ask Peter Knupfer if he can follow up about this again.
 
e.    The vacancy on the board created by Tom Wibert’s move is being filled by Judy Putnam.
 
f.  Picnic dates were discussed, and because of several conflicts with the Sunday following Labor Day, it was decided to choose September 18, 2011, with a rain date of September 25.
 
The next board meeting is scheduled for JULY 14, 6:30 P.M., at Jan Bernsten’s, 184 Maplewood. The meeting adjourned at 7:40P.M.
 
Respectfully submitted, Judy Cunningham, Secretary

 

Content Classification: 

2011-07-14

BROOKFIELD HERITAGE NEIGHBORHOOD BOARD MEETING

MINUTES, JULY 14, 2011
DRAFT
 
     The July 14 board meeting was held at the home of Jan Bernsten and was called to order at 6:30 by board president, Rhoda Wolff. Members present were Jan Bernsten, Judy Putnam, Dawn Parker, Carl Lira, Rhoda Wolff, Sally Lloyd, and Judy Cunningham. New member-at-large, Judy Putnam was introduced and welcomed to the board.
 
1.  The minutes of the April 11, 2011 meeting were presented the Judy Cunningham, and approved with one amendment made to change paragraph 4.,c to say that mums or asters will be purchased and planted this fall in memory of Verna Hodge, rather than flowers last spring. It was moved, seconded, and passed.
 
2.  The Treasurers Report was given by Jan Bernsten. As of June 30, 2011, we have $397.07 in the checking account, $1834.21 in savings, for a total of $2231.28 at the MSUFCU.
 
3.  OLD BUSINESS:
a.    There was some discussion regarding rental homes in our neighborhood, and vacant vs. rentals. No conclusions were drawn.
 
4.  NEW BUSINESS
a.    We discussed when to review the by-laws and decided that the April, 2012 board meeting will be best.
b.    Future board members will be needed, and Carl mentioned that it’s good to be thinking of prospective people. We have filled so far Treasurer - Sally Lloyd to replace Jan Bernsten, At Large - Carl Lira and Judy Putnam, President, Vice President, and Secretary, and Communication remain the same. We need another At large member.
 
5.PICNIC-SEPTEMBER 18, 4 - 6 P.M. OAKLAND AVE. RAIN DATE SEPT. 25
 
WHO ‘S DOING WHAT?
a.    Jan and Sally - petition for signatures to close off Oakland
b.    Barriers will be dropped off at Carl’s
c.    Dawn will see if Poli’s have the banner.
d.    Carl will check with Peter about the box of picnic items and find out about the balloon man.
e.    Dawn will ask city council candidates to come for meet and greet from 4 until 5 or so.
f.      Dawn will help collect dues.
g.    Judy C. will contact BWL speakers bureau to present from 5 - 5:15, bring trash bags, buy flowers for Verna Hodge, collect dues, and bring a neighborhood roster for people to update their information.
h.  Rhoda will arrange for a neighborhood watch presentation from 5:15 - 5:30. Also solicit businesses for discounts for door prizes.
i.      Judy P. - Ice
j.      Kids Activities - Gus (Rhoda’s son), and ? Nancy’s kids?
k.    Dawn to make a flyer that will announce the picnic. It will be hand delivered by representatives of each street who are on the board door to door.
 
We decided to have a pot luck , bring a dish to pass type picnic, with the business meeting starting at 5:30. Sally volunteered her electric outlet for us to use, even though she will be away. We will provide beverages.
 
In the fall, once we have everybody’s new email information, etc. a new directory will be made.
 
Respectfully Submitted
 
Judy Cunningham, Secretary 

 

Content Classification: 

2011-10-12

BROOKFIELD HERITAGE NEIGHBORHOOD BOARD MEETING

MINUTES, OCTOBER 12, 2011
 
The October board meeting was held at the home of Dawn Parker and was called to order at 6:30 P.M. by board president, Rhoda Wolff. Members present were: Judy Putnam, Sally Lloyd, Susie Engelhart, Carl Lira, Rhoda Wolff, Judy Cunningham, and Dawn Parker.
 
1.  Secretary’s report was given by Judy Cunningham. The minutes from the July 14 board meeting were accepted as read.
 
2.  The Treasurer’s report was given by Sally Lloyd. She reported that as of October 12, 2011, our statement from MSUFCU on September 30 reported a balance in the savings of $1855.14, and in the checking account of $867.07, for a total of $2722.21. There are outstanding checks for various expenses totaling $152.40, leaving us with an actual balance on hand of $2569.81.
 
3.  COMMITTEE REPORTS
 
a.   Communications
We thanked Dawn for composing the newsletter “The Brookfield Occasional” that was distributed throughout the neighborhood before the picnic. 
 
b.  Trees
Susie Engelhart reported that she had received a report from Pat Robinson about the trees since the annual meeting. Pat’s report said that there are two (2) trees on Oakland that need replacing. One was expected, the other was not. The homeowners have said they will replace the trees, but not until the roots die and the stumps are ground down next year.
 
4.  OLD BUSINESS
 
a.  The topic of officer responsibilities came up, and after some discussion, we were reminded that they are written in the by-laws. Also that we will be reviewing the by-laws at the April board meeting.
 
b.  We discussed the picnic and annual meeting, and ways to make it come together more smoothly next year. Some members felt that getting together informally a week to ten days prior to the picnic date might help with last minute details. Sally has a list from previous years that tells how the picnic and planning for it was done, and will email each of us her information. Overall, the board felt that this was one of the best picnics, and that the food was wonderful.
 
5.  NEW BUSINESS
 
a.  Judy Putnam brought up the topic of neighborhood tree replacement types. She wondered if they are hybrids? Since the city is not fond of Silver Maples, she wondered what type do they prefer to replace trees with now. Another question was how many can we replace annually, two to three as in the past? We also talked about who pays for tree replacement, does our treasury, or does the homeowner? We decided to ask Pat Robinson these questions, and ask her to write a paragraph for our next newsletter to answer peoples‘ questions.
 
b.  Carl asked the board whether or not we wanted to keep the Forums on the Brookfield web site. After discussing it, we decided to keep the Forums and open a Facebook.org page, and link comments from the Forum to Facebook. With Dawn’s help, we are now on Facebook.
 
c.  Neighborhood Watch: After discussion, it was moved and seconded to put a notice in the next newsletter and on Facebook to see if there is enough interest in starting and having helpers for a Neighborhood Watch program.
 
d.  Information and e-dues letter: An information letter and dues email will be sent to homes as a way for people to pay annual dues easily by using PAY PAL if they want to, with the hope of reaching more people this way. We will be requesting a reply by November 1. Beyond that date, we will begin to work on a new neighborhood directory, with a completion date of November 15. Thanks to Dawn’s husband for helping set up Pay Pal.
 
e.  Election of officers for the year 2011 - 2012
 
     President - Rhoda Wolff
     Vice - President - Susie Engelhart
     Treasurer - Sally Lloyd
     Secretary - Judy Cunningham
     Communications - Dawn Parker
     Members -at-large:
     David Betts
     Wayne Claycombe
     Carl Lira
     Judy Putnam Gwizdz
 
f.  FUTURE MEETING DATES:
 
JANUARY 18, SALLY LLOYD, 216 OAKLAND 6:30 P.M.
APRIL 18, SUSIE ENGELHART, 244 MAPLEWOOD 6:30 P.M.
JULY 18, JUDY CUNNINGHAM, 1511 ROSELAND 6:30 P.M.
 
ADJOURNMENT: President, Rhoda Wolff adjourned the meeting at approximately 8:00.

 

Content Classification: